Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 4 August 2011

February 2011

Yup, I did
In regards to the previous post...
Well in all honesty ,I only kissed 1 cowboy, and there was no actual gun play , but I did have a wonderful time! The real world met me at 2am with a nasty cold wind and a blizzard ,but we are home ,and that is wonderful.Lots of pics and news to come,but gotta get some things sorted first!
See you soon





Saturday, February 19, 2011






Jose Quervo
You are a friend of mine
I like to drink you with
A little salt and lime
Did I kiss all the cowboys?
Did I shoot out the lights?
Did I dance on the bar?
Did I start any fights?


Guess you will have to wait till next week to find out.


Off with the hubby for a week of R&R .leaving the farm in the capable hands of family and friends.


Hate to admit it ,but I will miss it while I am away ,esp the horses,Winston and Skeeter.But I know they will be well cared for .




Everyone stay warm and safe ,and I will try to do the same





Thursday, February 17, 2011




3 things I learned today

1)I learned ,that people can own a car , have a valid drivers licence and still be dangerous(well I know that every day that I am on the road ), but the last couple have reinforced my opinion.No accidents , but a few near misses and some wide eyed wonder from me!

2) I learned ,again( already knew)to listen to that little feeling that says , something is not quite right .

3 of the calves(yearling) had broken through the fence to hang out with Cactus .No biggie really he was tolerating them well, but its never a good idea to leave a broken fence ,if he decided to try sneaking through he could have gotten hurt , or at the very least into a territory discussion with Stryker. As big and tough as Cactus believes he is is , I am reasonably sure Stryker would have handed him his own A**!



3) I learned and this one really is new information .Cactus would have made one helluva cow horse!

Skeeter and I were bringing the calves up through his pen to put them back and fix the fence, they bolted around and as I waved Skeet to them, That big yellow stud ,jumped a log and cut them off ,then brought them up to the opening slick as you please!



There you go , he can cut and jump!





Wednesday, February 16, 2011




Wordy Wednesday?

Another visit from my muse . I have already shown this poem to Deb (the owner of the horse this one is about ) Simply because , apparently some of my poems about horse I have written have made her cry .Tissue warning Deb, and dad, and whomever struggles wuith these.
They first called her Ashes
They first called her Ashes
But that was just Silly
Ashes was no name for that
Little grey filly

A pretty rough start
For that little girl
But she showed she had heart
And gave us a whirl

A new owner soon
Who started to see
Just what
That little grey mare could be

You sure couldn’t push her
Or force her to bend
But with patience and
Time
She gave in the end

Stubborn and stoic
Tireless and strong
She‘d give what she got
And go the day long

She made me a friend
Lasting and true

And though I wouldn’t admit it,
I loved her too

A stealthy horse,
In shadowy state
Before you would see her
She would slip out the gate

Time marched along
Just like it does
And we are left wondering
Just where it goes

From Ashes she came
To Ashes she went
But the time in between
Was brilliantly spent

She runs through my mind,
Now and again
Like the warm southern wind
That gave her a name





Monday, February 14, 2011




A different Valentine

HI all, hope you had a lovely Valentines day.
I have been a bit absent the last couple of days.Just not feeling up to snuff.Had a flare up of joint and muscle pain that quite literally took me out a t the knees.Back and shoulders as well .
Sunday , was not a pretty site, and thank God for big sisters ,who will when they know you need them ,will come over and help comb your hair,and take care of you .
Took today off work , as I was still pretty sore and worn out .After morning chores I went back to bed and slept till 11:00!!!!
Anyhow, feeling much better in the late afternoon,and I needed to get the blacks in for Logan to take and work for a months so I wandered out . Photos are on the point and shoot , not that I don't love the new camera , but I was still pretty shaky and it is slippery and I was/am afraid to fall and break it but they turned out OK I think.


They always rush around in a new space


But the perfect Valentine's,they always come running back



My special funny Valentine.Martin is away working
So, this guy was showing the love
Haven't I always said he is nearly perfect, well here is proof! you can see his Halo!!


Johnie Handsome , guess I could have called him Johnie Angel!
Stay safe and warm!







Friday, February 11, 2011




Winners !

So the song from the contest post was Mama let him Play ,by Jerry Doucette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G4onYzITc

And Timer's antics on the day those photos were taken absolutely suited this great Canadian song.

So on to who won...



Actually miscounted and have 5 calendars to give away ,which works out pretty well seeing as I had 5 correct answers!Must have been meant to be !

Fantastic Voyager

Sally

Jeni

Country gal

Rising Rainbow

&

Janice

Congrats ladies , send me your snail mail addy's at fernvalley01@hotmail.com

and I will send the calenders asap !


Have a wonderful weekend ,everyone and , well here is my advise for the weekend!

Get a bit wild
Get a bit wild,
If you are able
Act like a child
Dance on a table

Revisit your youth
Don’t just be boring
Tell a bad joke
Leave them all roaring

Flash them a smile
Give it your best
There is plenty of time
Later to rest

Forget to be stiff,
Uptight and staid
At the end of the day
Make sure you have played

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As always stay warm and safe!





Wednesday, February 9, 2011




Rebel Shots








Just a few shots I took on my new camera





Monday, February 7, 2011




Trivia contest

So ,here it is.I have a few Fern Valley calenders left over.4 to be exact. If you would like one before we get too far into the year all you have to do is leave a comment ,with either the song title of the below lyrics or the next line


"Give that boy some freedom,
let him move around
Don't get in his way,
you'll only bring him down "

FV Jazz Time (Timer)
Think you know it?

I will draw for the calenders from the correct answers on Friday





Sunday, February 6, 2011




Give me a horse

I have been practicing with the new camera,and got a few good shots, but because I am learning and they are in a larger format I need to learn to scale them down or they will take forever for bloger to load .Meanwhile here are a few you may not have seen from the past and another bit of verse . Martin was home for the weekend and we were rushing around to family gatherings and trying to get coaught up.He is gone now for 12 days , so Iguess I can spend my evenings learning the new camera. So far I love it!

Give me a horse

Give me a horse
With good heart and mind
Yes give me a horse
And I’ll find the time

Give me the knowledge
To manage his care
To teach and to train
In a manner that’s fair

Give me the space
And days in the sun
To first learn to walk,
Then learn to run

Give me the push
To do what I need
To earn both our keep
And pay for his feed

Give me the courage,
When he’s done his best
When his time is done
To put him to rest

Leave me the horse
In my mind and heart
The joy and the memories
Right from the start

Yes give me a horse
And I‘ll do the rest
As he does for me
I’ll give him my best
Have a wonderful week, stay safe and stay warm!





Thursday, February 3, 2011




Taking it easy


Well the first week of Martin working out of town is coming to an end.He should be home for the weekend, then back out for 12 days.
It has gone very well so far, with my nephew Brendan pitching in to feed grain to the calves, and fork hay to them as well.All I have had to do ,is feed the young horses, and Phoenix, move the cows , push up feed to the geldings and keep an eye on the waterers.Still living a pretty cushy life ,thanks to family helping out!
I have taken some of this time alone to clean the spare room, and also the office.Martin really likes papers! magazines ,newspapers etc,and the was a fairly daunting pile on his side of the office. I sorted through and filed a bunch of stuff and well, yup I chucked a bunch too , a 3 yr old Bargain finder , no longer contains bargains for us! (no worries I told him what I was up to )
In other news , my new camera is finally in , I am hoping to slip into town today to pick it up! Get ready for Fern Valley pics taken on my fancy new Canon Rebel t2i!!!(once I figure it out)
The weather seems to be holding for a day or two in a nice warm state, so we are not yet being hit by the storms in the south , but sadly it is only February so...
Stay safe and warm, if you can , find a soft warm place to catch a few ZZZZ's like the boys