Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 4 August 2011

September 2010

Calender series, nearly there!

1

OK everyone ,the last 2 months of the calender and we are done! I want to say thanks to all who have commented and entered the contest , I really appreciate the kind words and the help sorting things out. The 2011 Fern Valley Appaloosa Calender is going to be great , and even better that my dear blogging buddies had a hand in putting it together.You all rock!


2
3

4

5

6

2 for each month ,but you only have to choose 3 this time as I made a promise last year the the #1 picture would absolutely make this years calender , so the dancing doggies it is!

On Saturday , I will close the contest ,and get all the names together and email to a friend of mine , she is a regular blogger but has not entered the contest . She has kindly agreed to choose the names of our 4 winners ,and send pictures of the process(should be fun! )Hoping to announce the winners early next week!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Calender series Sept Oct

1


2


3

4
Thought this was going to be harder , but I think I have it narrowed down to a few really good ones , Again 2 per month(one large one small) and this is for Sept and Oct. Nearly done! Thanks so much for all the comments and help ,it is making a difference.Even the posts where everyone like something different ,I am looking at them differently now and seeing a plan form!

5

6

7


8
#2 is a shot I really like, but I am not entirely sure it would show up well on the calender so we will see & #4 is a bit different , but I kinda like it . I suspect these months will go to #s 6& 7 ,but maybe not , also I have to choose the small ones to go with them as well.
 

Monday, September 27, 2010

Calender Series July August

Ok, we are on the home stretch here, kind of.July August in this post ,then Sept will likely be a stand alone and two more after that to finish the year. I want to have my choices finalised by the weekend so I can put the calenders together and get them printed.
Remember, you don't have to comment on every post in the series to be entered in the contest , but at least once and I sure appreciate the input!


1
I have so many pics of Dandy ,I could fill a calender with them alone , but there are a few others here at Fern Valley ,who get a shot too!
2


3


4


5

6

7
each month has 2 pictures a small and a large

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Alberta fall sampler, Near and far(many pictures!)

Fall is here. And in Alberta Mother Nature is making up for lost time and giving us a grand show this year! Colors ,the like we haven't seen here in a few years.I don't know what that means for winter,but for now it is lovely!
Come for a little tour with me...the near

Hi there boys!

Winston says"follow me!"
"Can I come for the walk? Just in case you need a ride back mom"
The view of Lac St Thomas ,from the north of the horse pasture, I didn't want to get to much closer to the shore, and fall in a rat run! Its nice out, but I am betting the water is cold!

From the hill overlooking the lake



From my back deck


Just out the kitchen door

Now , the "far" Not really too far. Saturday morning Martin and I ,my sister Heather and hubby Marc , headed out early for a day trip to Jasper National park (about 3.5 hr drive ) to enjoy an afternoon soak in the hot springs
The morning sun made the leaves look so much prettier
Along the highway between Carrot Creek and Edson
Coming into the park



Heather and I after a soak and a little hike at Miette Hot springs


Marc and Heather over looking Punch Bowl falls


Punch Bowl falls

Heading back down the mountain,I t was a lovely day and we had a good weekend overall. I am off for a "staycation" this week so hopefully will get a few things done. Time to start "gathering nuts for winter"

Friday, September 24, 2010

Dreamboat Annie, and FV Jazz Time

Or FV Jazz Time and Dreamboat Annie, just the way the pictures loaded so ...


FV Jazz Time (Timer ) is full brother to Maggie and Dandy and Owned by my Niece and her hubby ,Renee and Cory. His yearling pic is in my sidebar, but I have nothing current until now. He is 3 and has just come through 60 days training. A great fellow, steady and easy going ,I think he will suit Cory just fine. And it doesn't hurt that he is pretty easy on the eyes!




Still having trouble getting indoor shots , so we for the most part skipped them I mostly wanted to show how Dandy's big brother grew up



And then there is my girl Annie. A Christmas present form my mom a few years ago, the whole story here,http://fernvalley01.blogspot.com/2010/02/second-glancessecond-chances.html. In

In that post , Annie had just had an injury, jumping the round pen fence. Unfortunately that seems like it may still be and issue.She is not obviously lame , or sore , just"off on her left hind at a trot .Nothing you can feel from the saddle ,but still off. I will have Kevin for Bluequine have a look at her the next time he is in the area.Mean while I am bring her home as she is going well, I may do some light riding to keep her brain engaged , but no real pressure for now


For almost 20 years I was recognised on the ATRA Cancer ride,and others , as that girl who rode the Bay Appy with the blanket.Very often when I wasn't riding my beloved Catana , people either didn't recognise me or demanded to know Where she was!


Well I don't do that ride any more, and have very few public outings with my horses ,and this is not to dis my wonderful Johnnie horse,but...
I am back in the saddle on a snappy bay with a blanket again . And I kinda like it!
NO GL, you cannot steal Johnnie away form me , he is a lifer and like Catana , my heart horse!
Edited to add, I never have nor will I ever ride and actively lame horse. Annie is not sore , just slightly off. If at any point she seems to worsen the vet will be called.I more suspect a light misalignment ,that she has learned to compensate for. My regret is that I should have taken the incident more seriously when it initially happened.
 

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Calender series , getting tougher! June

1
So I was saying , June was going to be a tough month to pick just two photos for the calender. Call me a proud horsie mom , but I could pick 30 and be happy with this photogenic little man!
2

He was born late June ,so the only saving grace is that the pics need to be his newborn ones (of which there are many!

3

4

5

6

7

8
Remember, anyone who posts in the comments is entered in the draw to win.You don't have to post on every one in the series,but I hope you do! I could use the input!
 

No comments: