Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Sunday 24 June 2012

A little different

 So I have been bumbling along this spring with my flower beds. I knew what I wanted , but could not for the life of me seem to get it done. I am not a great gardener, (understatement of the year ) but I do like to have pretty things and flowers are pretty . So I usually try to get a few annuals, but most of my flower beds are either roses or  perennials.Then I spent the summer cursing the weeds, because  weeds,I can grow! 
Over the years I have collected some nice perennials, Veronica, Dahlias, and a perennial geranium to name the ones I can remember . but the  empty patches always I would try to fill with annuals.
Mostly the annuals would die or get choked by the weeds, so instead of completely admitting defeat I am trying this .
I  weeded it all thoroughly  then laid down a  weed barrier mat , and  have topped it with cedar chips .
It leaves more open spaces , but I do  kind of like the look 
Also found some really cute garden fence pieces  to brace up the taller plants,  you cant really see them  but they have butterflies on them 




 I have to complement the  lady at Home Depot who helped me today . When I got there it was pouring rain, she came out  helped find the  chips I wanted ,then insisted on loading them in the truck. ALL TEN BAGS!  because I did not have a jacket!I asked her how she liked her coffee and she laughed and said  "just with cream" boy was she surprised when I came  running in with a coffee 10 min later !But really service like that ? I kinda felt like I ought to do something . Will also take a friends advice and email the company 
I am pretty pleased with the way it all turned out , and I think simple is better in the long run , after all just across the driveway I have , Mother Natures landscaping and garden

 Really , anything I do would just be gilding the lily don't you think?
Stay safe everyone 

11 comments:

IanH said...

That is a very nice effect and looks trouble free!

Shirley said...

Looks good;anything that keeps the weeds down is a good thing! Looks like you have a Winnepeg Parks rose in that 5th photo.

Reddunappy said...

Looks great!!! Love the red next to the house.

kden said...

Everything looks so green and lovely. The new bark makes all the colors just pop! I've never used bark before, I guess I enjoy weeding ;-)

Crystal said...

I like the look of the ceder. I have many plans to do stuff like that too someday.

GoLightly said...

weed barrier mats RULE. Don't know what I'd have done without 'em. Cover with mulch of your choice, and BAM. Back saved, weeds discouraged, summer gets easier.

Looks great, Fern!

Paint Girl said...

Your yard looks great! I've been trying to get the flower beds weeded and new flowers planted inbetween all the rain. Not the easiest thing to accomplish!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That looks fantastic! I know what you mean about really appreciating exceptional service. I bought a dozen donuts for a crew in a mechanic's shop because they totally went out of their way to help me when my truck's battery died in a parking lot. It was hardly repayment for all they did, but they definitely knew their efforts were appreciated. I worked in a Hallmark shop once, and when someone was short 7 cents in buying a card, I pulled 7 cents out of my own purse and put it in the cash register. That customer came back a couple of days later with a single rose, a card and envelope containing 7 cents to thank me. I'll never forget that.

Janice said...

Low maintenence...that's the way to go. Good job. It's always nice when you find someone so helpful....hey sombody that actually takes pride in their job...good for her and you.

Jeni said...

Very pretty =)

Nicole said...

Wanna come make my garden look nice?