Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Sunday 1 May 2016

If you know whats good for you

Well, I seem to have lost the entire month of April!
Not sure exactly how that happened,but it did. We are calving here, and things had been going along nicely. Spring arrived very early ,but with it dry conditions.
The heat,the dry feed, and the smoke from a few local fires contributed to Johnny falling quite ill with a bout of COPD, he is medicated now and seems to be recovering well, but it brought me a few scary days.
Which brings me,in part to the title of this post.'Johnny has always been led by his belly, he is never afraid to eat or to look for treats, and it really scared me when he got sick because he would not eat.I had to mix his meds with applesauce to squirt into his mouth. I did this for 3 days and he finally seemed to improve enough to want to eat grain so I have since been able to mix his meds in feed. He is not too bad about taking meds that way seems to know it is helping him, to be honest he actually took the squirted meds into his mouth with a lot less resistance than some. He just somehow seems to know I am trying to help him.Funny how even a fractious(which Johnny is not)  horse can seem to understand what they need and often tolerate care they might not if they were more well.

And us also, we seem to take health and wellness for granted by times and push well beyond our limits.I am certainly guilty of that. In fact having done that so ling I am now facing surgery on my elbow, but not the initial "cleaning up" procedure that was proposed. In fact there is not enough of the joint left to clean up, and I will be getting an elbow replacement in the next few months. Long term it is the right thing but I will be faced with some limits also . No greater than 5 lbs to lift with that arm ever again! I was startled but that info,but I too hope to have learned whats good for me, and will abide by that rule. I simply will have to.

Armed (pardon the pun) with this new information, and feeling a little sorry for myself I( went to the barn to see Cat and Andee, I went to do 2 things, 1) hug my horse and make myself feel better , and 2) try to saddle her one handed to see if I could.
The results were not pretty but I did it, I then did something I should have done months ago... I rode my horse. and while I did not ride long somehow when I was done all seemed right in my world again. Funny, Cat also seemed to know it was what I needed as she walked right up to the mounting block, and squared herself up as if to say " Up you get". Horses and critters in general really are smarter than we are some days ! Lol

Henry and Skeeter too are very therapeutic and bring joy ,peace and calm when things are unsettled.
I guess that is what I have always seen, the therapeutic power of animals. I think though I forget sometimes when I am working with others and the animals , just how much they do for me as well.

In other news there is a new Cactus baby out there! One by him out of a mare owned by friends of mine. Looks like he has stamped this pretty filly with his signature style!




Also speaking of Cactus Babies, FV Dandy line has found a new home and is doing very well in the north of BC with his new family and his new handle "Elvis"  I am so pleased hsi new owners tracked me down to update me on him. And thank you Julia for allowing me to share your great photos of him!







I will leave you with some photos of how things are going here, I hope to be back to blogging more regularly,but we will just have to see what the next little while brings me.









Meanwhile, stay safe my friends

8 comments:

aurora said...

It is so great to hear from you Sherry! I've been wondering how things were going with you. So sorry to hear about the elbow, that will be a huge adjustment. We all seem to end up needing to make adjustments, one way or another. Glad Johnny is doing better. Is that first pic him as a baby? Elvis turned out stunning, what a looker. Nice that you got an update, complete with pics. Must be so rewarding. Henry has gotten so big! Love all the pictures!!!

kden said...

Tough news about the limitations of a new elbow. I don't think it will keep you down for long though. I admire your adaptability :) And hanging out with all those animals, who wouldn't feel better after that?

Shirley said...

What a great bunch of photos! You can sure see the smoke in the first one- no wonder Johnny couldn't breathe well. Reminds me of here, last summer.
That is sure a beautiful foal- and doesn't Dandy look great! So rewarding to know that your horses are going to great homes.
Sure sorry to hear about the elbow replacement. When I got the news years ago about my back I made sure the doctor let WCB know that riding was okay, and in fact good for my back. You can always use a pulley hoist to lift the saddle and walk the horse under it - where there's a will there's a way!
Love the photos of your dad, looks like your animals are therapeutic for him too.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ahhh! No more than 5 pounds? How are you supposed to keep your arm muscles strong? Hopefully, once you heal after the replacement, you will be pain free. Is it your dominant hand's elbow? Wishing you the best outcome.

C-ingspots said...

Wow, what a beautiful filly! :) And that little calf is so cute...aahh babies just are what spring is all about. Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. Major drag having things give out before they should. Hoping the docs are wrong about that 5 lb. limit - seems like not much at all to lift. Hoping you don't overwork the other arm/elbow trying to baby the new one. That would really be a drag! You sure do look happy with Johnny - must have been after he was feeling better! COPD is a scary thing, but usually managed. Kind of like the scare we had with Ladde, only with founder. Scary stuff! Love all the great shots of happy farm life!!!! Good to hear from you again girl!

Crystal said...

5 lbs that sure not very much but better than pain all the time and Im sure you will get used to it....might have to start asking for help though ;)
Whew so glad johnny is OK that's when you know something is really wrong when they wont eat poor guy hope they get those fires out soon.
And all those calves and foal and dogs, life is good :) Oh and riding, perfect!

GoLightly said...

Smart girl to prepare for what's coming. What do doctors know about pain, anyway... I've started using weights, I doubt they'd help you, but ya never know. I know I sound like a broken record, but yoga aka. gentle movement really helps. We assume our bodies stay the same, but they reallllly don't. Don't ask me how I know ;)
amazing pictures as always.
Sedn darling Johnny my love & scritches and ONE, okay two cookies :)
Stay safe, still praying you get that rain!

OH, and Dandy line/Elvis is a stunner.
Kudos to Cactus, and the Fern Valley genes <3

Unknown said...

Henry has gotten so big! Love all the pictures!!!


จอมเวทย์มหากาฬ