Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Tuesday 22 February 2022

When the storm came

 When the storm came, and the wind began to twist 

the sky turned dark. 

The oppressive heat faded to a soothing cool 

And as the sky began to cry 

I cried with her 

I cried with the release 

I cried for the storms that came before this one 

I cried for letting go 

I let the storm wash over me and through 

And with the last flash of lighting and crack of thunder 

I let go that breath I had been holding 

And I rested 

S. Sikstrom 


I wrote this last summer in the midst of a heat wave and a drought, if I am being honest I have shed many tears over the last few years, and unfortunately |I think many more will be shed with the current state of things. 

That said I am leaning hard into my blessings and finding the "what went right moments"  The horses, my family, the dogs, nature and the fact that I still have a safe home. 

I have taken a new job for the next little while, I accepted a position as Mental Health and Addictions promotions facilitator until September, big change and small , in that i am getting more hours and an increase in $$ but I have been teaching Mental Health First aid , in person and on a virtual format for several years. Funny thing is I am busier than ever and yet I am finding my energy and mind renewed and called to write some more !  I guess a change really is as good as a rest.


Stay safe and well, until we meet again  

8 comments:

Shirley said...

Another good SS poem!
Congrats on the new job and promotion :0)

aurora said...

Congrats on your well deserved promotion, for such an important health care field. I am glad you are feeling renewed and sharing your beautiful thoughts with us.

GoLightly said...

Love to read anything you write, and this poem is no exception. Just beautiful.
Congrats on the new job, and good luck with Frankie's teenagehoodlumdom ;)

Cut-N-Jump said...

Tears are simply a way to wash out all the bad things are eyes have seen. Beautiful poem there Sherry. Waves at GL! Good to see you too!

Cut-N-Jump said...

*Our eyes.... Ugh! Blogger needs an *Edit* button

risingrainbow said...

Nice to see a post from you. I have missed you.

risingrainbow said...

Sorry, it didn't identify me even though I signed in. risingrainbow

Sherry Sikstrom said...

risingrainbow!SO good to hear from you