Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 4 August 2011

August-Oct 2008

Recovered from original Sept and October, still unable to find August 2008 posts , will edit if I  get access
Some thoughts about time


In reading another blog today I saw the comment "I haven't had time to do any riding" That happens a lot to many people I know especially those that have 2 or more projects on the go or like many of us work full time to pay for the ponies. The commenter in the post I am referring to has been quite busy ,but has taken time each day to see to the creature comforts (feed ,water clean bedding and turnout) of her horses and also has taken some quiet time to just love on them and groom . I think that is just fine , sometimes it is all you can get done and I would far rather see people do that kind of work than to ignore the horse altogether due to lack of time . In these busy times of preparing for fall/winter (Gathering nuts etc) Doing that little bit every day will not hurt your horse , it will just reinforce trust and improve the relationship. This is not to say you shouldn't try to find time ,establish goals and act on them I am just saying that it is best not to build in a pressure situation for you and your horse. Hurried work with horses often results in bad things happening very quickly



IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY , HURRY HOME BECAUSE YOU ARE DONE!!



Have a great day

Posted by fernvalley01 at 9:09 AM 4 comments Links to this post

Monday, October 27, 2008Andee gives in !!



Andee has been a little standoffish since she arrived , but it was easy to see she wanted to be friendly. Always called when she would see someone outside and would come very close if I was in the pen with her and Kat ,but up until today she would just stay close by and sometimes let me touch her nose. Yesterday I was cleaning the pen (raking up any wet debris) Andee seemed totally calm not spooking when I raked almost under her feet. Today went out for my customary visit with them and was scratching Kat, Andee couldn't resist today and got right up beside me . I spent a little time talking to her and directing her movement , not into a corner but a little more focused attention to space in relation to me . Any how she was very responsive so I approached her side and she stood quietly and allowed me to scratch her shoulder, from there accepted an all over body rub head ,ears, neck, back, and belly . Actually approached me for more when I stepped back . What a sweet smart little lady !!

Posted by fernvalley01 at 5:28 PM 2 comments Links to this post

Saturday, October 25, 2008I don't think we are in Kansas any more Toto!!



Wow has it been windy ! I have climbed up in the bale stack 3 times to replace the tarp , great fun ,stand 15ft off the ground and hold a tarp in 60mph winds , can you say nuts?



Anyhow the kids are settling in nicely though Andee is quite shy still and the wind is not helping . She calls to me every morning and evening for feed and will approach me to let me touch her nose but that is about it at present . When I stand scratching Kat you can see the wheels turning , "hmm that looks good" I have no concerns however she is an honest little thing and will come along fine as she gets more settled. I will try to get more pictures up as I go but now is time to gather nuts for winter so I will be a little busy.





A quick update on the others





Bug is staying sound ,but I think she will be bumped to a spring project

Chance came home from the trainers and is Awesome ,what a gentleman, Sorry Linda but your horse your picture(lol) you look fine



Spun 2Gold was sold in September to a lovely lady who will be working with a trainer to finish her , Melody came to see her 3 times and brought her trainer as well, it looks like a good fit and it seems like she has a forever home with Melody and the people she will be boarding with .

That's all for today , stay warm to all here in Alberta and other wintery areas

Posted by fernvalley01 at 7:10 PM 2 comments Links to this post

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Welcome Home Andee !!







I had originally planned to wean "Catch a Dream" on her own with my 2 yr old Annie for company ,0r go to a local auction and hopefully pick up a "diamond in the rough" or some such ,maybe a potential "Bug" (see post on Bug from July 14/08). The problem of course with that is the likelihood of strangles coming home with an auction baby , while I agree it is easily treatable/ manageable I am very tired and a little over committed at present and am also in the throws of a lupus flareup, so not terribly motivated to take on that extra burden.





So on Saturday went with the first plan of weaning Kat with Annie for company. Annie is a kind filly and no risk to harm the foal ,but boy was she unhappy! The first night was all her calling and running around looking to be with the "big girls".Sunday morning with very little sleep I started thinking about options , Martin and I went online and looked at a few sale pages. Found Andee on Northernhorse.com and as soon a I saw her I thought gee, I know this filly ,I had been watching her progress on another blog http://rideagoodhorse.blogspot.com/ I called Shirley (apparently while she was on her horse waiting to go into the sale ring ) and made arrangements to see Andee. That night as Martin and I were very sure that Andee was it, we called again and Shirley agreed to bring her out . She arrived at my place at 3:00pm and my troubles were over . Andee is a doll and Kat is thrilled to have a buddy ! They settled in together beautifully and I got at least 6 hours uninterrupted sleep (yay) Andee is a little shy but willing to try trusting us ,every time we go see her she investigates carefully and last night was enjoying having a little scratch time with me . I have promised Shirley to try to keep updates on Andee going and I will do my best. Thanks so much Shirley !!

Posted by fernvalley01 at 12:26 PM 4 comments Links to this post

Labels: Welcome home Andee

Newer Posts Older Posts Home

No comments: