Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 3 February 2022

Looking back, blogging, goodbyes, and what comes next

 I just looked back and it has been over a year since my last blog post. I had it titled the strangest year ever, and yet 2021 was even more of a rough ride.

Thinking back I used to love blogging, I found my muse her, and some wonderful friends.I don't regret a moment of time spent. 

As time goes on we move into different stages of our lives and I really got away from blogging,I still read for a time, and then even that faded away.

It makes me sad because I lost connection with some wonderful people, and found ways to connect with others on a different level. I recently found out that a long time friend and blogger had passed away, and that breaks my heart, that she passed ,and that somehow we had lost touch enough that I didn't know.

2021 brought a number of changes and some sad goodbyes. We lost a good friend of Martin's suddenly, and sadly, we lost our beloved Skeeter, 15 years of joy, that little dog gave us. The summer was spent  to a greater extent keeping him comfortable until that was no longer an option. I made myself a promise many years ago that I would never put my needs or sorrow ahead of their comfort, never try to buy more time than they could afford. When that time came, I spent a quiet day with him, snuggling on the bed and then holding him in my arms we said goodbye.Skeeter may not have come into this world gently born in -30 under a grain bin, but he lived a blessed life and went out wrapped in love.




 

Somewhere ,beyond the soft edges of forever, two old friends are reunited.

The year wasn't all bad, we were able to gather with friends a little over the summer and attended a couple of weddings 







Also reconnected with a family tradition and attended the Ballet with my sister and her girls. A tradition started by my grandmother, carried on with mom, and now to this lovely group of ladies and myself .

While I still grieve the loss of my little friend, our hearts are amazing things, we have the capacity to love and heal at the same time. Henry was struggling mightily with being an only dog, and while he does his best we do appreciate having a cattle dog.


 I got a message about some pups, and while I wasn't sure we were ready I went and looked. Turns out the breeder was a distant cousin to Martin. Also , we were ready after all ... 

Meet Frankie 






He is border collie Australian Shepherd, and he is one KEEN pup! I have my work cut out for me! 

As I continue writing here, I see I have so much more to say. I will end here for now and share some more in the coming days. Can I commit to regular blogging again? It is difficult to say ,but I certainly have missed this .

Stay safe and warm friends , until we meet again 


16 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi Sherry! Nice to see you back again! There are a few bloggers returning to the blogosphere, so happy about that! So much better than FB.
Sad to hear of Skeeter's passing, he was such a neat little dog. But- welcome Frankie! You got big paws to fill, little fellow!
You're looking good!

Ami said...

Well you know I've been keeping up with you elsewhere, but I do like the idea of you blogging again. I have taken some blog breaks, too. It's just a hard time for everyone, I think and I sometimes just don't have the energy to write, even though (surprise) I have a lot to say.

Hope you're back. :)

Cut-N-Jump said...

"Somewhere, beyond the soft edges of forever, two old friends are reunited." So well said and with that picture... My eyes are watery.

Good to see you posting again. So many of the blogs have gone silent. Glad we met all those years ago and have stayed in touch, even meeting in person. You and Martin know that you are always welcome at our house and hopefully one day you'll come down to thaw out. :-)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Linda said...

Welcome back! I think blogging is much better than other social media. Looking forward to your posts.

4RRanch said...

Glad to see you back. Blogging is tough but rewarding. I enjoy revisiting my blog "diary" on occasion. And sometimes it can settle disputes about past memories.

M said...

Welcome back! 2021 was a really rough year for us too. The heatdome made it very miserable. Especially with my health. The forest fires, and everything else. I'm not sorry to see that year gone. I hope this year goes better for everyone. Lord knows we all deserve a break!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I came over from Shirley's blog! So sorry you lost a much loved dog, it is really hard...I see you have a new pup to help ease the pain a bit!

kden said...

Good to see you! So sorry to hear about Skeeter, Frankie is adorable. Last year was my toughest, lost my Mom and coming up to the year anniversary already. Your newest poem is touching.

aurora said...

Welcome back Sherry, know you have been missed! I've thought of you often and wondered how you & your's were doing. I haven't been on Facebook (or other socials) for a long time. I am undecided if I will ever fire my FB account back up. I am focusing my online time ('er all my time) where it feels meaningful & right.

I am just happy to hear from you!!

Sorry you had to let Skeeter go. Always hard, regardless of circumstances. 15 years of memories to miss & hold tight {hugs}

Love Aussie's, welcome Frankie. What a cutie! We also had two, but an oops crossed with Lab's.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

thank you all, I am feeling very welcomed and indeed glad to be back

M said...

Sherry, that puppers is pretty adorable! :)

M said...

You look terrific!😊💜

Sherry Sikstrom said...

thank you M, I think he is also and I am loving the welcome!

GoLightly said...

Yikes, I missed this one... Hugs, dear friend. I second CnJ's comment, "Somewhere ,beyond the soft edges of forever, two old friends are reunited."
What a beautiful string of words. Thank you for your kindness and your friendship.
You are a wonder.