Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Friday 4 February 2022

If its my last ride

 I have continued to write over the last year, maybe less frequently but still from time to time my muse awakens. This one came to me in a sleepless night, thinking about aging and the horses I have owned, Whoa Dammit (Cat ) has had some trouble with her eyes, and I am not sure if we will fly together again. AV Docs Baby (Andee)  is potentially bred to a lovely buckskin quarter horse , so she too is off the books for a while. I currently don't have a saddle horse I trust with these old bones and replacement parts. I don't think I am done, but if I  am glad I didn't know .

If it’s my last ride, 

don’t tell me If you ever had any compassion for me,

Don’t tell me

Let me be happy 

Let me hear the creek of the leather of my saddle 

the soft footfall of my horse 

Let me smell the fresh air 

And feel the breeze 

Let me remember the rides before 

And dream of the rides to come 

When it’s the last ride,  

If you ever cared 

Don’t tell me 

I d rather fly not knowing 

Sherry Sikstrom copywrite 2021 



6 comments:

M said...

Very lovely!

Shirley said...

I have often wondered if the ride I take on Beamer will be the last one. He's 21 this year and his knees are getting quite knobby, but I still take him out once or twice a year for a very short ride. I think it gives us both joy.

Linda said...

Beautiful. Yes, I don’t like negative certainty either. You never know. Life is always surprising me. I have a 27 year old gelding, and I want to keep dreaming about him. I don’t want to know when our journey will end.

Miss Izzy said...

Beautifully said. I may want to know only so I can savor every moment that much more.

aurora said...

Love this, so thought provoking and relatable to all us horse lovers.

I wouldn't want to know either.

GoLightly said...

Beautiful.
Strangely enough, I had an opposite idea brewing in my head.
Great minds think similarly! Or something :)