Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Saturday 5 February 2022

So what about the horses?

 I have been gone so long I am not sure who to update you on , so you are getting a quick overview. On the young ones 

FV Martin Sunset (Sixty) and FV Windwalkers Treasure (Busy) the 2017 models. Sixty , the "born broke" type, has been easy to work with , actually halter broke him while still in a sling from my right elbow replacement. He is growing up nicely and will be ready to start in spring. Busy , on the other hand , was put on this earth to test my mettle, and remind me that the way we do things, sometimes must change to suit the circumstances, also the shortest journey is not always the most beautiful. Long story short, once we found our way, she became soft and responsive, and has moved on to start her career in Quebec! Sixty, may or may not leave, Martin seems to have his eye on him and as he was born on Martin's sixtieth birthday ...










We shall See


FV Practically Magic,2019  is still here, but has been sold and will hopefully be flying south in the Spring to live with his new person, our old blogger friend Cindy Durham! She said the day he was born she wanted him, and last spring she finally decided to make her stand. We had intended for him to go this fall, but border restriction and some other changes in plans conspired to let him have one more Alberta Winter (poor guy)






And the Little Sasshole herself! FV Sable Fascinator 2020 Foxy , has a potential sale pending but for the moment is keeping me on my toes here





That is  the update on the young guns, for now. The downside of not blogging and maybe the upside is I have a ton of unseen pictures, but they are poorly organized so that might need to be my next project .

Until next time, stay safe and warm

7 comments:

GoLightly said...

Ya for a new blog, and thank you for the updates.
All of your herd is looking well, still kinda crazy about FV Practically Magic.

Stay safe, spring is out there somewhere!!

Linda said...

Beautiful horses! We had an appy filly born last summer, and I have fallen in love with them. What a beautiful place your horses have to grow up on. I can see why she fell in love with Magic. Gorgeous. All of them are.

Miss Izzy said...

Little Sasshole. I love it! Your horses always have a nice level of substance to them. Stout and sturdy with good looks to boot.

Shirley said...

That's pretty cool that Cindy decided to buy one of yours! The one she chose looks a lot color-wise as Melody, her mare.
How is Andee doing?

Sherry Sikstrom said...

thanks all! Shirley Andee is Bred to one of Dudla's studs I will try to find pics otherwise she is pretty and sweet as always. I do think Cindy will love Magic, he is such a good boy and yes similar in looks. Linda, congratulations on your Appaloosa foal! they are wonderful

aurora said...

They are all beautiful, even the sassy one!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

thank you all!