Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Friday 8 April 2022

Well this is a surprise

 Those who know me know I own my mistakes. And this is no different. Am I a responsible breeder? Yep. Did I make a mistake? also yes, am I mad about it? Nope t least my mistakes are pretty! 

FV Dreamboat Annie is a mare my mom bought me years ago. Well bred, Dreamfinder line. We tried repeatedly to breed her but never could catch her cycle other than very occasionally in early March, sometimes April, which in Alberta is a no go for me. Her cycle would go quiet, and even with veterinary intervention nope. So I called it as I saw it and when Magic needed company I put her in with him to keep him settled till he was gelded. Apparently she can and does cycle ,but only on her own terms because even though she hid this secret from us very well, like very very well( I have ben raising horses for nearly 40 years and I did not look at her yesterday and think, Hmm maybe? ) But this morning, low and behold..







Meet Mystik Absinthe. Why that name? Well I am hardly going to call this little dreamer a mistake, and the other reason is as written below 

I posted this in January 2019, and the mare I dreamed of was a bay with a blanket. Honestly I thought that was the foal that we lost late term from Spirit. Because for all our efforts we could never seem to get Annie in foal. I guess it’s a good reminder that dreams come true in the time they are meant to. This is what I wrote;
“ I dreamed last night of a horse, not one I already own but a beautiful mare, her name was “Absinthe “
I knew that was a familiar word so I looked it up. “Historically Absinthe was thought to cause madness”
Fair enough, the horse I dreamed was an Appaloosa, and madness is what dreams are made of! "

So welcome to the world little one! We have been waiting for you , though we didn't know it

Stay safe, and thank you all for the feedback on the mental health post, lets keep talking!

8 comments:

Shirley said...

Awwww what a great surprise and a great story too ! Welcome to the world little girl!

Shirley said...

Also, since you didn't post on here last year, and I'm not on FB, what's the story with Magic? I don't remember him.

aurora said...

What a beautiful surprise!!

Linda said...

Oh wow!! Yes, that is a miracle and surprise wrapped into one!! And mama looks so happy with herself. The baby is beautiful!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Thank you . Shirley FV Practically Magic is a 2019 colt by Phoenix out of Reina. He is sold actually to our mutual Friend Cindy D, was supposed to head south last fall but with restrictions and timing he is still here. Big bay roan colt with one blue eye. He was gelded last spring but apparently had one last hurrah lol. He is a really nice colt so I am not mad about his spring fling, I actually had a couple people ask about him as a stallion prospect.

Miss Izzy said...

Sometimes we have to leave things alone and stop trying to make stuff happen to get our rewards. It's the Universe telling us -> "Back the f*ck off! I've got this." Lol, snicker, chuckle, grin.

Cute baby and from the backstory I'm guessing she is a definite Keeper!

Ami said...

what a lovely surprise!!

Shirley said...

Yeah I remember now! Hopefully he can make his way to Cindy soon.