Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Thursday 29 December 2022

I resolve not to resovle

 As 2022 wraps up we often see people making resolutions. To lose weight or to gain momentum in whatever goals they have. I suck at resolutions  I feel like they can be a recipe for disaster and self loathing. If you feel you need a change, then change.

I am not doing the "new year, new me" because I actually kind of like the old me. She is a pretty cool gal, not perfect but I am not really good at perfect either.
Instead of a resolution last year, I made a vision board.I didn't do it January one, actually it took me most of the month to get it to a place where it reflected what I felt Not for specific things, more about feelings. How I wanted to feel in the coming year.
I titled it "Picture the feeling", added photos of things that aligned with how I wanted to feel and a little about how I wanted to get there.


How did it work out for me?
Mid January I accepted a temporay position as an Addiction and Mental Health prevention promotion facilitator. Did I have some imposter syndrome around that? yep, but I gave it my all, including in a particular situation, while I was nervous as all get out to do so, I stood ground, and spoke truth to power, giving voice to a population who trusted me with this task, and therefore had a role in changing the outcome.
As a result when the position ended in October, my manager asked me to continue teaching on a smaller scale and created a permanent casual position to compensate me "adequately for the value of my work!"
I felt better than I have in years and I continued my journey with essential oils and supplements finding new strengths and abilities on my way.
I travelled and kept on "swimming"
And I returned to writing, as I mentioned in previous posts I have a new book out and another few on the go.
And I gave back, I donated, and helped out where I was able and the gift of passing on our blessings is indeed a feeling I will forever be grateful for .
I wasn't in the saddle bit I did spend a lot of time with the horses, and that feeds my soul.
It has been a year! I am proud of the path/story this year as been and I am interested to see what next year brings.
It took me most of Januaryt to create my vision board for last year, and I will take my time again this year, being midful of what I want to feel and how I want to create that.
What I know for sure is that when we believe in ourselves and our purpose we are unstoppable!

When they tell your story let it be the stuff of legends!

What is your vision for your coming year? If you want to share I will start beliving for you right away too!

2 comments:

aurora said...

I think your Vision Board is wonderful! A visual reminder that was well thought out. Better than "flipping a switch" on magical day one, to claim frequently abandoned goal/s. A vision (similar to intentions) is a more achievable way of progressing towards whatever makes a persons life feel rewarding.

Thanks for sharing. I've only heard of them used for wedding planning.

Congrats on your teaching accomplishments, with a growing population that desperately needs help and understanding.

Miss Izzy said...

I like the vision board. Sort of a way to Manifest what we want to bring into our life.

A friend of mine turned me on to a word for the year instead of resolutions. It's funny how often the word comes up during the year. I think resolutions are becoming a thing of the past. Nobody keeps them anymore.