Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Saturday 20 July 2013

Catch hold of a Hummingbird

Posted  this to FB earlier;
Well if that don't beat all, sitting outside I heard a funny buzzing sound and a squeak sounded like a hummingbird but not quite. Finally went to check and found a little female hummingbird trapped between the wagon wheel and the deck in some long wet grass. Very carefully got her extracted and she chirped at me, pooped in my hand  , and nearly took my eye out leaving! I am sure that's just how they say thank you right???

 Do have to say,it felt odd holding that fragile creature! I could see her but she felt like nothing but air! Think she is fine, hope so.

This incident, and this  spring, moms illness, our  critters calving,  and  foaling  remind how fragile yet  tough God's  creatures can be.
Tiny calves  born in cold temps,bounce right up and start to nurse, just hit the ground  growing! Unless they don't,then  it  can  and does end  badly some times.

The foals ,the same up on those wobbly pins so  quickly after they are  born drinking and  running before  we  know it . Even Little Peanut (Oakley's  Arctic  Heather ) or Sprite (as I suggested today) with  her  rough star and is  doing  fine!
 well enough in  fact t o tell  big broher  Maks where he  needs  to be
Actually  it  seems  today  was a  day  for the  baby  sisters to me telling  the  boys  what's up! 
 Casey  giving  Tango  a  "talking to"

And my tough  little  mom, out  for a  visit  today , she  and  dad  brought  lunch! Burger  Baron yumm!!! 
So today  was a good day to remember to  watch  for  passing miracles ,they  are out  there .
Hope  you are all  having a  great  weekend .
And  as  always, stay safe

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good reminder - those miracles are all around us, just waiting for us to notice.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh your Mom looks so good. Yes there are indeed miracles every where we turn.
Nothing say Thank you like poop in the hand:) Take care my friend. HUGS B

Shirley said...

Nice to know your mom is out enjoying time with you.
Those fillys are doing a pretty good job of setting boundaries for the colts!

WishIHadAHorsey said...

I had no idea hummingbirds chirped! Glad to see your mom was able to come for a visit. And the girls giving the boys what-for - too cute!

kden said...

It's a good thing you were in the right place at the right time to hear that tiny chirp. Last week I saved a sparrow from certain death after it got caught in a mouse trap. Those darn things like peanut butter too. I don't know how long he'd been there and I know they're just sparrows, but I couldn't let him die like that. He quickly flew away after being released :-)

greymare said...

Yes lifes little miracles are there. We just have to "look" at life and "Listen" and we will find them. Your Mom is a tough lady and she inspires me. Nothing but nothing is going to stop her unless she says so. Great on your Dad to be there with her thru it all. He is a "tough" guy. LOL the old softie.

kestrel said...

Awww, and now you know what hummer poop looks like!

Beautiful babies, and a wonderful family. Take care of yourself too while you're at it, haha!