Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Sunday 11 June 2017

I'll be seeing you RIP Johnny Handsome




I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places

That this heart of mine
Embraces all day through



I'll be seeing you
In every lovely summer's day
In everything that's light and gay
I'll always think of you that way
I'll find you in the morning sun



And when the night is new
I'll be looking at the moon
But I'll be seeing you

Sad news today, I have been away from blogging some time, and this is a hard one to come back with 
but it is what it is .
Those who have followed Johnny know he was quite sick last year with a flare up of COPD. With a LOT of TLC he rallied and has been managed adequately for the last year. He was holding weight and his breathing was fair to good. In full retirement he was enjoying the green grass and playing some even loped up for his supplements from time to time. SO much so I felt safe putting Ritchie and Stryker in with him today. The usual meet and greet occurred then off they went up the hill. 
I went up to check not 60 seconds after they left and found he had died . No struggle or strain appears to have simply dropped. 
My heart is shattered with this loss. Johnny like all of my horses was much loved,but he was special.
I promised that little crooked colt the day he was born that if he straightened up and came sound he could stay with me as long as he wanted. And he did.
I guess I should have said as long as I wanted...
but then I wanted forever.

Goodbye my old friend, until we meet again, I'll be seeing you

16 comments:

Crystal said...

Such a hard thing to go through, I will sure miss seeing him here. Glad there was no struggle, that is the way to go.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm so sorry. It sounds like he waited for his friends to be by his side before he crossed over. I'm sure he felt joy romping with them in his last minutes. I hope grief treats you gently.

The Dancing Donkey said...

I am terribly sorry. It is so hard to lose such a good friend.

Shirley said...

It must have been heartbreaking to find him. In a way, though, it was a perfect way to pass- enjoying life right to the last moment, and saving you from having to eventually make "that" call.
I love that last photo of you and him, how wonderful that you have that special moment captured forever to go with all the treasured memories in your heart.

kden said...

So sorry to hear :( His last moments were filled with his friends and your love.

Ami said...

I'm so sorry.
I'm glad his last moments were good ones and that you have so many sweet memories of him. What a wonderful friend.

Leah said...

I am so sorry... I have been reading about Johnny for some time - may your heart be filled with memories.

aurora said...

Oh Sherry, I am so sorry for the loss of your special boy :( such a beautiful tribute!! I recognized many of the photos, with tears streaming down my face. I guess that is the most we can ask for, to pass with love. Sending heartfelt hugs!!

C-ingspots said...

Oh dear God, such a shock...but, aren't YOU the blessed one to have loved such a GRAND fellow as this!? What an amazing boy, and it's so obvious he was happy in his life and knew he was loved. So obvious Sherry. Remember that last bit, how he ran off with his pals and was loving life. ((hugs))

IanH said...

Sorry for your loss

cdncowgirl said...

I know I already sent condolences... but oh geez, I am so sorry for your loss. He was indeed special <3

Sherry Sikstrom said...

thank you all for your support and condolences

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for this loss, Sherry. They leave such large holes in our hearts. Gone, maybe. But never forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm late here - very sorry for your unexpected loss. It must be very hard - try to remember all the good times.

GoLightly said...

Disgracefully late to this, no thanks to FaceBook, which is entirely unfair, because I MET you and your Johnny on Blogger.
I am so glad you changed your header pic, it's perfect, and lets Johnny know that YOU know you have to move forward. Horses live to move, and I'm glad Johnny is comofrtable again, up there in horse heaven.
His life was sweet, and loved. Yes, too short, but better a short sweet life than a life of suffering, in my old grumpy opinion.
His handsome, wise face gave me back a love of horses that I had always been punished for, seeing's how the horse life liked to kick my behind every chance it got. I so wish I'd been able to meet him in person.
Your prose and poems speak to the rhythym of yours and Johnny's lives.
That will never change. Johnny's heart was yours, so through you, he'll keep on sending out his message. Live well, have fun, play with some girl-friends. Look darn good while doing so :)
Love to everyone at FernValley.
Johnny's most ardent fan forever, Barb
(aka GoLightly)

Unknown said...

It is so hard to lose such a good friend.


จอมเวทย์มหากาฬ