Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Saturday 12 February 2022

Somebody done somebody wrong song

 I am on a steep learning curve with Frankie, he is keen and I have lost a step or 10 since the days of Skeeters youth. Also Skeeter was a little more timid, Frankie is all guts and glory . He is good with Phoenix, the dog and pony show that originated with Skeeter and Phoenix is carrying on with Frankie, but he is a bit too keen to go in the pen with Cactus , who runs from him, and with some of the others. Sixty and Foxy are  well prepared to hand the little dog his own arse, but some of the others are not so fearless. So I got a whistle, some treats, and when he is particular eager I walk him with a halti because he is also STRONG! and my replacement elbows are not up to being dragged all over the farm . Well those of you who know cattle dog breeds know there is nothing more spectacularly dramatic than a cattle dog who feels he has been wronged.



I guess at the end of the day, little Frankie is kind of similar to an Appaloosa, he will make me work for it , but we will get there .

Stay safe and well 


3 comments:

aurora said...

Poor Frankie, the horror of it all. We call those leads, gentle leads. He is a handsome guy with an interesting patterned coat, just like your Appy's. He resembles a Catahoula, with his long tail. Frankie has really grown and will no doubt keep you on your toes.

Miss Izzy said...

They can't all be easy or everyone would do it/ have one.... Lol

Like the horses- there are dogs that are easy and some that test our patience. When it all comes together you can relax and enjoy it. Until then, just vent your frustration on the nearest unsuspecting snowman. 😄

Shirley said...

Oh woe is Frankie!
Cute video.