Welcome to Fern Valley

Here in central Alberta prime farm country,my husband Martin and I work together raising beef cattle and Appaloosa horses. Fern valley appaloosas have long been known for their quality of temperament conformation and color.I have recently rediscovered a love of writing and have published 2 collections of poetry. "Telling Tails" and Tails Trails and Campfire stories" . I look forward to a future spreading my wings as an author and as a horse woman .

Monday 29 July 2013

Catching my breath


(Sleeping  beauties)
Been  a busy busy year   for me . Lots  going on  here at the  farm and in my  life in general. My folks  moving, mom's  health, and hospitalizations. Dad's  hip  surgery. And  my Father in law's on going illness, and fading  health .  All of that, plus the day  to  day  things here  at the  farm, and work added to chronic  pain  have  conspired  to make  me a "mildly"  stressed  Jelly  Bean.
I am running around all  day  most  days  just  trying to keep  my head above water. Accomplishing thing?? well  yes,  but  not all I want to . Sadly  for  me  when I get  feeling  stressed ,my instinct is  to become  hyper vigilant , and  have a  need  to control  every little  thing  in my  space. I  cannot control  the issues  of health my  family is  suffering , and I cannot  control other  people, but I wind  up being  very  focused on my  stuff, checking  2-3  times  what I normally  could  look  at one  time and  be  fine. What does  that achieve? nothing  more than to spiral my stress  level up and up!
So what to do about it? I cannot as I said  control  the  world or  other  people , but I can  control  what I put on my "plate" 
So  while  we  have had  a banner  year here at Fern  Valley  with the  foals. There will be  no foals  here  next  year. I am  taking  a year off  from  breeding  mares , and  going  to have all of next  spring and  summer (after  calving ) to do , well? whatever I decide  to do.
 It is much  easier to breed  mares when  they  don't have  a foal  at side , so I will be  better able to manage that on my own if  hubby is  still working  away  next year.
I have  been invited  several  times on a blogger trail  ride, and have been unable/unwilling to leave with young  foals here. I am lucky in that  my  brother in law is  very  good about watching over things  for me ,but I feel to  take off  with  4  foals looking  for a  place to kill  themselves is asking a  bit much!




 So here's  to next year! and the  freedom  to take  a holiday , go  riding, run wild! Funny  even  just making this  decision lifted a  huge  weight off my shoulders. As for foal  pics, I am  sure  there will be  lots around  with our  blogger buddies, and  Cactus  did  breed to outside mares this year(both owned by family ) so maybe I can  score  a few  baby pics  for you all  from them.
To the  foaling  contest  winners  from  this  year, I am sorry to be  so  far behind, I have not  forgotten  you ,and I will send out  your  prizes soon!
 So here's  to next year! and the  freedom  to take  a holiday , go  riding, run wild! Funny  even  just making this  decision lifted a  huge  weight off my shoulders. As for foal  pics, I am  sure  there will be  lots around  with our  blogger buddies, and  Cactus  did  breed to outside mares this year(both owned by family ) so maybe I can  score  a few  baby pics  for you all  from them.
To the  foaling  contest  winners  from  this  year, I am sorry to be  so  far behind, I have not  forgotten  you ,and I will send out  your  prizes soon!
 

And as you  can  see I have  no  shortage of  photos  this  year, may  just  carry  me  through! 
Stay  safe  my  friends!



12 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lots of cuties to photograph, but I'm sure you've got your hands full. My herd has finally settled down after all the herd integration issues and the fly mask ripping phase, so I was able to leave the house for half a day to help my son move, but had to leave early to get back to prevent the dogs from having accidents. Sorry about all the health problems going on.

Country Gal said...

I am sorry for your stress and family health problems . Sometimes ya need me time and that's just the way it is ! Lovely photos ! Hope all gets better for you all ! Take it easy and try to have a good day !

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am so sorry I do understand this stress of things you cannot control especially the health of the ones you love. I also understand the need to control everything else in your life because you need to feel you are the one with the power. I have learned being a lot older than you that it does not matter what you can control or not control you HAVE to NEED to control your own health and frankly sanity it is sooooo important.
I do not have horses and foaling but we have decided their will be no winter calving this year for basically the same reasons you mention you are skipping a year of breeding.We will be calving but it will be in the warmer spring and much easier on me and my stress level. I do hope you find that balance you need and I will be rooting for you. My prayers to your family.
Remember take care of yourself the rest will happen the way it is supposed to and you will be needed. Spend all the time you can with the ones you love the rest will wait. Change what you can deal with what you can't. HUGS HUGS B (sorry for the long comment I do know exactly what you are going through and it is nice knowing I are not alone) Hugs again B

Willow said...

I certainly understand the stress spiral. At least you are aware and have a plan, that helps. Good job thinking things through and being aware of your feelings. Take time for yourself too.

Love the photos. You really did get great foals in your breeding program.

phaedra96 said...

You must do what is right for you. You always have gorgeous foals, surprising how different but similar they are. I always look at them and think of which one I want if I were buying!! Right now my fav is Maks.

WishIHadAHorsey said...

I am sorry about your plate having to be a platter :( - hugs.

The pictures are adorable! I love the babies sleeping one. They are really cute :)

kden said...

Run Wild Missy, you deserve a break. More time for 'Words'? LOL

Ami said...

Another control freak here... and the more things are out of my control the worse I feel and the more running in circles I do!

I think it's a great decision on your part to take a season 'off' although I am sure you'll manage to fill the time with a ton of other activities and then wonder how you ever managed foals on top of it. :)

Cut-N-Jump said...

I love the one with the babies all passed out in a heap. Awesome!

Sometimes you just gotta say- Enough is enough! I'm not going to die trying to please anyone and everyone. To hell with that. I can only do what I can do and the rest will have to wait.

Done. Simple as that. Anyone who doesn't like it, knows where they can go.

kestrel said...

Good for you girl! I soooo understand the hyper-vigilant stress mode, and seeing someone else dial it back helps me to follow suit! Thanks!

GoLightly said...

Good for you, FV, that's great to read that your decision lifted your spirits.
With all you hjave on your plate, it makes good sense.

Shirley said...

Aw hugs! So does this mean we can plan a trail ride or two for next year? Yippee! How about one in BC and one in Alberta? I didn't breed Gussie this year, so next year it's all about getting out and enjoying the trails. I'll have a truck by then that can pull my trailer too (current truck is a V6).Janice was talking about riding down in the Porcupine hills- that's close to where Linda Peterson is now- and getting Terry Aris from Tired Ass Ranch to guide us. She has a gift certificate for a guided trail ride from him. Might be a really good kick off to the trails next year!